Guest writer and dermatologist, Nancy Samolitis, will be giving us her top beauty advice each week! Don’t forget to check out Nancy’s websites and follow her on Twitter!
Nancy J. Samolitis, M.D. is a board-certified dermatologist practicing in Beverly Hills and Long Beach, CA. She specializes in the treatment of aging and sun-damaged skin on the face and body. She has extensive experience with procedures using injectables and lasers for rejuvenation of the full face, as well as the aging neck, chest, and hands.
Websites: laskyskincenter.com & longbeachdermdocs.com
Follow Nancy on Twitter:@Dermdoc_Sam
When is it time to start using anti-aging products?
Many of the changes in skin texture, tone, and pigmentation that start to show up in the 30’s and 40’s are actually a result of the damage that occurred early in life. School-free summers, beach vacations, and daily sun exposure (especially if you live at a high altitude or sunny climate) all add up over time. If you wait until wrinkles are deeply set, it may be too late to reverse them to your satisfaction. Starting treatment and prevention early can prevent those wrinkles from setting in at all. What products and treatments are the most effective for age-prevention?
1. Daily sunscreen – you’ve heard it before. It’s the #1 anti-aging treatment in existence. If you don’t wear it, don’t bother spending any money or time on other treatments. Make sure your sunscreen is at least SPF 30 and contains broad-spectrum coverage.
2. Antioxidants – These ingredients help to protect your skin from more damage and can help to repair existing damage to some degree. Vitamin C, vitamin E, coffee berry, and ferulic acid are potent topical antioxidants available in products.
3. Vitamin A treatments such as retinol or prescription tretinoin – actually can reverse signs of aging at the cellular level. They may even be effective in treating and preventing precancerous lesions.
4. Botulinum toxin – Botox, Dysport, and Xeomin are the injectable treatments available in the U.S. that relax facial muscles causing lines of “expression” such as forehead lines and crow’s feet. Using this treatment before the wrinkles are deep can prevent the wrinkles from forming at all. If you use the treatment early enough, you will only need a small amount of product and the result is natural looking. Treatments about 3 times a year are needed for maintenance.
- SkinCeuticals CE Ferulic serum
- Revaleskin Hydralift Complex (contains CoffeeBerry, retinol, and vitamin E)